Friday, October 2, 2015

A lesson in kindness

One day last weekend I took my son to McDonald's for dinner. I'd like to say it was a rare treat but let's be honest here. In his defense he wanted Subway, which might be a bit healthier, but I wasn't feeling it so McD's it was. Sometimes I wonder just who is the parent and who's the child? But that's not what this post is about.

Even though I shared a meal with my kid that would make all health nuts cringe and most moms look at me with disapproval, I was also able to share a lesson in kindness. I'm thinking the importance of that makes up for my poor food choices.

The counter-person who took our order greeted us with a smile, repeated our order for accuracy and collected our food all with a wonderful attitude. She seemed to have pride in her work and it showed.

We ate in the restaurant and all through the meal I kept hearing her as she served each patron with the same great attitude she gave us.

I decided that since we were already fairly deep in the unhealthy rabbit hole, why not just go all the way, and so I went back and ordered us chocolate chip cookies. While at the counter I told the server what a great job she was doing. She grabbed her manager and I repeated my praise of her service. They both thanked me and then I was asked to mention this on the survey they advertise on their receipts.

On the way home, my son said, "You did a nice thing, Mom." I replied, "It's kindness and the world needs more of it." Those of you who have read my blog before know that I like to praise and recognize people for giving outstanding service.

I'd like to think that if she was having a bad day I made it a little better. Or, if the rest of her day hit a few bumps after I left that she can think back on my words and smile. We don't know her story. Maybe she's a struggling single mom. Maybe she's a student putting herself through school. Either way she's working in an industry where the employees have a bad rep. and she's doing a kick-ass job.

Later that evening I filled out the online survey and sang high praises of the counter-person. I only hope that my words were passed on to the appropriate people and maybe she benefited with some sort of bonus or incentive. Wink wink, nudge nudge McDonald's peeps.



No comments:

Post a Comment