Wednesday, October 28, 2015

No matter how many times they ask, No! I DO NOT want to continue

I was logged into the Google Docs calendar site at work and I saw this weird eye-with long lashes looking icon on the toolbar. So, naturally, I clicked on it. This was for the "Word of the Day" which turned out to be 'Taphephobia', the fear of being buried alive. Morbid. And also very Kill Bill-ish.

Then a small window appeared that said, "This page has an unspecified potential security risk. Would you  like to continue?" So I selected No. The window re-popped open. I hit No, again. Same thing. Then I thought, what the hell and clicked Yes. Still, the same little window re-opened. I tried to "X" out of the entire Google site. Nope. A ping noise and the same stupid little window. It was clearly mocking me with its threat of a potential security risk and incessant continuation question.


No! No, I don't want to continue!



And now I'm starting to panic like, This window is never going to close and will stay open forever because I had to be a Techie-Pandora and click on that damn icon! I started to develop Compu-open-windowaphobia - the fear of computer windows that won't close. (I made that word up. Just thought I'd let you know so you don't get stuck in some security risk website while looking it up.)

I began to click "No" "Yes" and "Esc" again and again because, when in doubt just press buttons. And finally that annoying window closed. Whew! Big sigh of relief. Then  I swore to NEVER click on strange tabs again no matter how curious I am or how interesting they look.

That lasted about 5 minutes until I decided that this would be a funny story to share and I couldn't remember the word of the day except that it started with a "ta" and so I had to click the icon again And the whole window-not-going-away and me clicking "No" a hundred times happened all over again.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! That reminds me of this thing at work where sometimes we get a pop-up saying "The session has expired, this window will now close" and when we click that away we get another popup saying "The app is trying to close the window. Do you want to close the window?" and if we click 'no' on that, the first pop-up just re-appears until, after going back and forth a few times, you figure that, yeah, maybe you do want to close the window after all :p

    ReplyDelete